Skylight Window Tinting to reduce skylight heat
Are you someone who loves natural light? When considering a new house or apartment, do you look for one with a lot of glass? Do you use a compass to make sure your windows get sunlight all year long?
Even if you don’t go to extremes, if you like natural light, you probably like skylights too. They deliver sunlight into the dark recesses of your home or office. You get the benefits of sunlight without having to be near a window.
Sometimes though, skylights let in too much sun.
Excessive light, heat and blinding glare are no fun. Makes you want to replace your skylight with a piece of plywood.
Good news – you can reduce skylight heat, glare and excessive light with window film. In fact, window film is one of the best skylight heat solutions.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Skylight Window Tinting.
Window Film is the preferred skylight heat solution. When professionally applied it can turn your troublesome skylight into a thing of joy. Here are some things to know about skylight tinting.
Window Film (aka Window Tint) – Window Film for skylights is typically applied on the outside of the glass because it’s easier to access, can be applied on more types of glass and delivers much better solar performance.
- It will reduce the heat coming through your skylight: Window film, especially externally installed window film, is very effective at improving the energy efficiency of the glass in your skylight – You can realistically reduce heat coming in from your skylight by up to 81%!
- Glare Reduction: Glare is a function of light or more accurately, visible light transmission. Reducing the visible light reduces the harsh glare of the sun.
- Freedom of Choice: In terms of Visible Light Transmission (VLT) and color you do have some choices, (fewer for exterior films, more for those installed on the inside of the glass).
- Won’t interfere with daily operations: Since most skylight films are installed from the outside it can easily be done without interfering with your normal home or business routines.
- Visibility – On of the key advantages of window film over other heat blocking methods is that it improves your view through the glass rather than obfuscate or reduce it.
- Appearance: Window film looks good form both the inside and outside. It’s as simple as that.
- Cost Effective: Window film will massively reduce the heat coming through glass for relatively little money. (The cost to access your skylights can increase the cost, sometimes significantly, but in general these access costs apply to all skylight heat reduction methods.
- Can’t be installed on every skylight:
- Can only be installed on glass or, with some specialized films, poly-carbonate.
- Can only be applied to a flat surface so you can’t use it on domed, textured or patterned skylights.
- Limited life span: Because they are exposed to the weather exterior installed films have a shorter life expectancy (anywhere from 2-15 years dependent on brand and manufacturer) than interior installed window films.
- Can be costly: Access costs can be high (although external installation can reduce this considerably).
If you have a skylight letting in too much heat, light and glare we can help. We’ve worked with shopping centers, homeowners and retail clients to solve their skylight issues.
Give Metro Tint Texas a call to discuss your options. We can be reached at 800-297-3862 or by filling out our contact form.
METRO TINT TEXAS
Your Dallas 3M Prestige Window Film dealer