What is an “Air Conditioning Ton”
When discussing home air conditioning or cooling your home you may have heard the word “ton”, “refrigeration-ton” or ton of A/C” in reference to your AC system.
What exactly does that mean and why is it important you?
In the days before air conditioning people would use ice to cool their buildings. The more ice you had, the cooler your building.
In the same way the term “air conditioning ton” is the is the unit of measure for how powerful your air conditioner is. Higher ton systems have more cooling capability. In other words, the more tons your air conditioning system is rated for the more heat you’ll be able to remove.
Air Conditioning Ton – The Technical Stuff
- One “Refrigeration Ton” is the amount of heat needed to melt one ton of ice over a 24 hour period.
- Heat is measured in BTU’s, which stands for British Thermal Units. One BTU is the amount of heat needed to heat one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit.
- It takes about 12000 BTU’s to melt a ton of ice over a 24 hour period.
Air conditioners work by removing the heat inside your home or building. A one ton HVAC system will remove enough heat to melt a ton of ice over 24 hour period.
Most home air conditioners are rated between 1.5 and 5 tons. So if you have a 2 ton system your air conditioner is removing enough heat to melt a 2 ton block of ice over a 24 hour period.
Window Film Save Money
Solar Control window film contributes to the cooling capacity of your A/C system by reducing the amount of solar heat coming thorough your windows. In fact, for every 100 ft2 of solar control film you gain the cooling equivalent of one air conditioning ton.
It makes sense, less heat coming into your home means your air conditioner doesn’t have to work as hard to remove it. And window film:
- Doesn’t require power, so you end up with lower air conditioning bills.
- Pays for itself over time.
- Saves wear and tear on your homes air conditioning.
- Protects your floors, carpets and furnishing from sun damage and deterioration
- Is environmentally friendly
- Makes your home more energy efficient
Window film isn’t a substitute for air conditioning. During the hot Texas’ summer’s many people find air conditioning essential. Window film is however, a good complement to your air conditioning system. It will make you more comfortable, save you money and is good for the Earth.
For more information contact Metro Tint Texas by clicking here.
Metro TInt Texas
Your Dallas 3M Prestige Window Film Dealer